Traveling with kids is fun…and exhausting. Especially when they are bored, right? Yet the places you take your kids and grandkids are worth the price of a little whining (at least to me). We’ve got 3 tips to ease the boredom and keep the kids entertained when traveling with kids.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and buy, TravelingInHeels will get a small commission. Thank you for your support!
3 Tips to Keep the Kids Entertained When Traveling
Planning a family holiday is exciting and allows you to spend lots of quality time with your loved ones. However, traveling with kids can be a struggle, especially when they become bored and irritable. When traveling with kids, here are 3 tips to keep them entertained.
1. Find family-friendly accommodation
The accommodation you choose plays a key role in the overall enjoyment of your family vacation when traveling with kids. This is why it’s so important to do your research and choose kid-friendly accommodation that is suited to your family’s needs and requirements.
Check that the chosen accommodations include all the facilities needed to ensure a pleasant stay. This should include a variety of restaurants on-site or nearby, entertainment for the kids where they can play and burn off that extra energy. It’s also important to keep the adults happy with a relaxation area for the parents, such as a spa or adult-only pool.
Villas are excellent choices for families as they provide additional space and offer the flexibility to prepare your own snacks and meals. There are many companies offering Child Friendly Villas that feature incredible facilities to help make your holiday as stress-free and enjoyable as possible. This includes things like child-proof pools, games rooms, and private outdoor play areas.
2. Pack fun games and toys
Don’t forget to pack plenty of fun activities to keep your kids entertained while you’re away. These can also act as a distraction and be used to entertain kids while traveling. The last thing you want is a bored toddler on a long haul flight!
To inspire you, here are some of the best ways to keep kids entertained while traveling:
- Headphones – I’m sure there are few parents out there who haven’t purchased headphones for your kids. Our grandkids are fans of Beats Headphones and wireless and chargeable eaerpods.
- Audiobooks – Find and download thousands of audiobooks online to suit every taste and ability. These are highly entertaining and also help improve your kids reading and listening skills.
- Comfort toy – Make sure to pack your kids favorite toy. Having something from home will act as comfort while you’re away and help eliminate any feelings of unease.
- Coloring books – Colouring books and pencils are a simple and effective way to keep kids entertained while traveling.
- Board games – Board games or a pack of cards will provide fun entertainment for the whole family and make a great family activity.
- iPads or Kindles – You can now download an extensive variety of games, films, and TV shows on an iPad or Kindle. This can provide your kids with hours of fun entertainment during long journeys or while relaxing on holiday.
3. Book exciting activities
Before you go on holiday, make sure you research fun activities and attractions in the area. Some popular family activities include going to the beach, visiting the zoo, spending the day at a theme park, or doing fun group tours. Try to find activities that will be fun and suitable for the whole family.
Remember that tickets for popular tourist activities may get booked up well in advance, so it’s always best to book early to avoid disappointment later on. You can find plenty of guidance and tips on family-friendly attractions at your destination by looking at travel blogs or reading travel forums.